This morning’s worship services at Bethel went very well! This was the first Sunday after our series on our new “Connect-Grow-Serve-Go Discipleship Process”, and Pastor Jamie did a great job on a message about living a life of purity and holiness. His point was that if we’re living lives that are not pleasing to God, this whole process we just learned about will be useless. We’ve had some marriages at Bethel recently that have been falling apart, and I think our church needed to hear this message right now. I was back from a week of vacation, so I felt refreshed and excited about the morning!
We started each of our services in a unique (for us), but powerful way! We used a countdown, and then as soon as we reached zero, I used the “Obstacles” video from Shift Worship. This was such a powerful video about what possible obstacles there might be in your life that need to be addressed before worship – unforgiveness, anger, unconfessed sin. With music by Page CXVI, this was a perfect way to start a service. Immediately following the video, I had Zack play guitar quietly, and asked people to spend a couple minutes in prayer and reflection, based on the questions in the video. We transitioned right from Zack’s guitar playing into our first song. It was something different, fresh, and it seemed like people really responded well to it.
Stronger (Ben Fielding, Reuben Morgan)
– Following the Obstacles video, this song seemed very appropriate as we praised Him for being stronger than all those things that can get in the way of our worship – “You are stronger, sin is broken”!!
Only A God Like You (Tommy Walker)
– One of my favorites by Tommy, and one of church’s favorites as well (which is always nice…)
Wholly Yours (David Crowder)
– This isn’t a new song, but it was the first time we’ve used it. I love the song, and with Pastor Jamie’s focus on holiness, I thought it was a good week to use it. We passed out the solos, and our group did it as a special. They all did a great job!
Remembrance (Communion Song) (Matt Maher and Matt Redman)
– This is one of my favorite new songs for communion. It has been recorded by both Matt Maher and Matt Redman on their recent albums. We used the vocal harmonies from Matt Maher’s recording, but followed the music more closely to Matt Redman’s version. Great song!
Beautiful the Blood (Steve Fee and Louie Giglio)
– With a writing combination of Steve Fee and Louie Giglio, you know it has to be a great song, and it is! Another new song that we’ve started to use for communion, this one is well written, with each part – the verses, pre-chorus, chorus and tag all having great qualities!
Click here to watch our LiveStream video of this service.
Cafe Connection (Video Venue Service)
Our summer youth intern, Nathan, was the worship leader in this service today, and he chose the songs and led the service. It’s been great to have him around, both for the great job that he did with our youth, and for his wonderful musical skills he used while he was here! This was his last Sunday with us, though, as his time is up, and we recently just voted in a new youth pastor, who starts in a week!
Better Is One Day (Matt Redman)
Enough (Chris Tomlin, Louie Giglio)
How Deep the Father’s Love For Us (Stuart Townend)
– This is one of my favorite songs to use for Communion, with the rich theology and beauty in the lyrics, combined with that moving melody. Great!
Amazing Grace (My Chains Are Gone) (Chris Tomlin)
Jesus, I Come
And, Can It Be
Whiter Than Snow
Lead Me to Calvary
Glory To His Name